Home Types of China Visas X Visa

Student Visa, X Visa



Student Visa, X VisaBeijing University: One of the Gates at Night



A China Student Visa is also called X Visa. It is needed if you are not a Chinese citizen and you plan to go to China for your studies or intern practice for a period of MORE THAN six months.

Don't confuse the Chinese student X visa with the U.S. student F-1 visa. If you have a short-term study or intern practice that lasts no more than six months, you don't appy for a student X visa; instead, you need to apply for a Chinese Business Visa or F Visa. Yes, business visa.

The following are the documents you need for the application of X visa:

  • A valid passport.
    • Your passport must have at least a remaining time of six months.
    • Your passport must have at least one blank visa page in it.
  • A copy of the information page of your valid passport.
  • A completed visa application form.
  • One of your recent 2x2 square inch photo. Both black & white and color are fine. You need to glue or staple it on the designated place on your application form.
  • The original AND photocopy of the approved Foreign Student Visa Application Form (JW201 or JW202) issued by a relevant Chinese government unit.
  • The admission notice from the Chinese school you are going to study at.
  • If your former citizenship was Chinese and this is your FIRST time to apply for a China X visa:
    • You need to write down your Chinese name on the application form.
    • Prepare your original Chinese passport to submit.
    • Prepare a photocopy of your information page on the passport.
    • If your former citizenship was Chinese, and you've been a citizen of another country, and the passport you're holding now is not the first passport of your current country, then you need to submit your older passport or a photocopy of the most recent Chinese visa on it.
  • If you are a foreigner with a valid visa and a legal status in another country, you may apply for Chinese student X visa in the Chinese Embassy in that country. Be prepared to be asked to provide the original and photocopy of the legal status document.

    For example, if you are a legal foreigner in the U.S, you may be asked for your US Green Card, Work Permit, I-20 Form, valid US Visa or other additional documents. The China visa officer will make a decision on whether to issue the China student visa case by case.

Apply Your Visa Online

Continue here for the following information:

How to apply, Processing Time, Visa fees and Additional Information.

Related Pages:

Also see:

Chinese Culture Highlights


Home Types of China Visas China Student Visa1, 2





China Highlights