Home Types of China Visas Travel Visa for China

Travel Visa for China



China Visa ApplicationXi'an China, where the Terra Cotta Army is Located

Need a travel visa for China? Here is the information you need.



Chinese travel visa is also called tourist visa, or L visa, which you need to apply for if you go to China for the purpose of sightseeing, visiting family members or friends, or for other personal affairs.

In general, before you apply for a Chinese travel visa, you need to prepare the necessary materials for your application. The following are the materials you need:

  1. A passport, and a valid one, meaning you have more than six months before your passport expires. You must have at least one blank visa page on your passport.
  2. A Visa Application Form that you've completed. It's important to make sure you complete it correctly, otherwise your application can be delayed unnecessarily or rejected.
  3. One recent photo with a size of 2x2 square inches. The photo can be in color or black and white. You need to glue it to the assigned space on the application form.

    If you don't have the photo ready, the Chinese embassy in your local area normally offers a photo service with a fee of $10 or so for 4 photos. Please check with your local Chinese embassy to verify the availability of its photo service.

To save time and trip, you may apply China Travel Visa online.

If your former citizenship was Chinese:

If your former citizenship was Chinese, and this is your FIRST time to apply for a Chinese visa, no matter if it's a Chinese travel visa (L visa), or another type of Chinese visa, you need to do the following besides what were mentioned above:

  • You need to write down your Chinese name on the application form.
  • Prepare your original Chinese passport to submit.
  • Prepare a photocopy of your information page on the passport.

If your former citizenship was Chinese, and you've been a citizen of another country, and the passport you're holding now is not the first passport of your current country, then you need to submit your older passport or a photocopy of the most recent Chinese visa on it.



If you are applying for a child who is a Chinese descent born outside of China:

There are two situations:

If this is the first time for him/her to apply for a Chinese visa, you need:

  1. A completed Visa Application Form.
  2. One recent photo with a size of 2x2 square inches.
  3. The child's valid passport.
  4. The child's birth certificate with parents' names.
  5. One of the parents' passport, permanent resident card, or landing paper in both original and photocopy forms.

If this is not the first time for the child to apply for a China visa, you don't need to submit the child's birth certificate and parents' passport/permanent resident card or landing paper.

If your destination is Hong Kong, check out Hong Kong visa page.

Next step is how to apply for your travel visa for China.

China Travel Related Pages:

Some of the China Highlights



Which visa do you need to go to China?


Home Types of China Visas Travel Visa for China





China Highlights